Thursday, May 24, 2007

Top Ten Favorite Books

Per a recent request of one of my readers, I would like to now list the top ten favorite books that I have already read. I have found this an infinitely harder exercise than the previous one because it necessitates picking and choosing between works of literature and theology, which ought to stand on their own merit and not be judged by such an unworthy and fickle reader as myself. I have found that this list has changed over the years due to the change of my interests, rereads, ruminating on the material, etc. As such, I offer this list with the following caveat: it is not written in stone, and there are many other works that I have read quite deserving of the list. However, thinking about it at this particular point in my life, here are my top ten favorite works in no particular order (though the first two are fairly cemented):

1. In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

(Launched a new genre - writing a true event as a story. Beautifully written and spellbounding. Of all the books on this list, I found this one the most difficult to put down.)

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

(Paints a beautiful picture of the South - and may have begun my love affair with it. Somehow weaves together the two seemingly unrelated stories of carefree childhood summers and racial injustice. It also gives us, in my opinion, one of the great characters of American literature, Atticus Finch. If my wife would let me, I would name my dog Boo Radley.)

(A side caveat, both writers hale from Monroeville, Alabama, the same town from which my great friend Matthew Glen Eubanks hails. I have told people that he will be the third famous writer from that town. A fine biography on Harper Lee, which includes her significant contribution to In Cold Blood is Mockingbird by Charles J. Shields. Though not making my top ten, it is a great read for anyone interested in those two figures.)

3. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

(Paints a picture of 1920s America almost as effectively as Harper Lee does of the South. Though simple enough for a high schooler to appreciate, the layers in this book are thick. Worth a reread if you haven't read it since high school. We never abandon our first love.)

4. Against Heresies - St. Irenaeus

(Written at the end of the second century to combat the rising heresy of Gnosticism, it is rightfully hailed as the first work of systematic theology. Irenaeus shows how the resurrection is God's redemption of creation, instead of its overturning. This book is one of the reasons I fell in love with theology and the Fathers of the church.)

5. The Confessions - St. Augustine

(This is the first, and still the standard, spiritual autobiography. It shows us that even a giant of the church, as Augustine was, still struggles and still needs to find solace in the grace of God.)

6. The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco

(A modern classic. Absolutely captivating piece of mystery and historical fiction. I recommend reading it with a group of friends in order to discuss it. This is how I read it and I think it made the read much more valuable.)

7. The Great Divorce - C.S. Lewis

(An allegory of heaven and hell; the symbolism is thick and rich. Paints a beautiful picture of God and his hope for humanity.)

8. The Jungle - Upton Sinclair

(Singlehandedly led to meat packing reforms of the early twentieth century. Weaves together historical fact and the struggles of a fictional immigrant family struggling to survive in early America beautifully.)

9. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt

(An unbelievably fascinating read. A must for anyone who is the lover of quaint characters and the South, particularly Savannah. The town itself is the main character. Solidified the mystique of the South for me.)

10. The Seven Storey Mountain - Thomas Merton

(The late Thomas Merton was a Trappist monk at a monastery about an hour and a half from where I lived in Kentucky. This is the story of his life to the point of his entering the monastery. While Augustine's might have been the first, Merton's in my opinion is the best sample of spiritual autobiography. You will fall in love with the man and, hopefully, his God.)

-----

As I recently wrote to an anonymous post, I would encourage my readers to post their favorite reads. Sharing our favorites with one another will encourage us to read and spark other ideas of what we have read that we have loved.

8 comments:

Matthew said...

Hey. Don't know if I could ever narrow my list down. All too often, my "favorite" is whatever I'm reading at the moment...Of course my list will have to be stream of consciousness, and in no particular order...Of course, To Kill a Mockingbird by dear Ms. Lee; the short stories of Eudora Welty ("Why I live at the P.O." is just too luscious for words.); anything by Truman Capote, fiction or otherwise--(how could I ever pick a favorite?); and sorry, Jackson, but I loved me some Jane Eyre. Am I the only one? Okay, its late at night, and I'm sitting at the computer only a few short blocks away from Lee's family home in M'ville. But its almost midnight, and the streets have long since been zipped up. Must go to bed. But I have to add "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White to the list. (Not to mention "Elements of Style" by the same--a book of lusciousness for grammarians and dorks, alike. :) Good night, dear friends.

r o b said...

all i have to say is that jackson is definitely on my top ten list.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what about Jane Eyre? Come on, Lash. I would like to throw in The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis, Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley, The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom and of course, Chicken Soup for the Soul for 28 year old men who grew up in Iowa and attended Iowa State University. Definitely one of my favs. This is Tom . . . I can't remember my password.

Jackson said...

Excellent additions Matt and Tom. I know that on Julie (my wife's top list) would be both Charlotte's Web and The Hiding Place. The latter is one I definitely need to read.

Thanks Rob for the kind remark. I checked out your blog - nice. It will be good keeping up with you this way since I never seemt o call you back. Does this knock me off your top ten? Maybe it puts me at 11.

Any other ideas out there before we move on?

Julie said...

I really love "A Live Coal in the Sea" by Madeleine L'Engle. Not sure it is a classic or anything, but it is so good. Also pretty partial to "Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henri Nouwen, "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence, and "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller.

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting to read...good input from all.

A few of my faves have already been mentioned - Great Divorce, Hiding Place, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Ofcourse on the more scholarly ones mentioned I have to say "no comment".

But want to add a few of mine too:

Shadow Divers - true story, wonderfully woven - a high recommend.

Follow The River - another true story about am amazing woman who survived an incredible experience.

Secret Life of Bees - LOVE that little girl....another real survivor.

And am I the only one who did not realize that Wicked is also a book?
I was in a conversation with someone last night about our experience seeing the show, and she had read the book....I gather it's quite different from the show, but might be interesting for you to check out, Jackson, since we loved the story in the show so much. But I stil think that a better preparation for anyone who's about to see Wicked would be to just watch the Wizard of Oz again first.

Off to follow the yellow brick road.....Love you J & J, MomK

Julie said...

Oh, and if you like non-fiction...pick up John Krakauer's book "Under the Banner of Heaven" about the 1980's Mormon murders. A riveting read. I hear the same about his other books.

Jackson said...

I did realize that Wicked was a book - I thought that we talked about that. What an ingenious idea for a story. There is another book like that, where Tiny Tim grows up to be a real awful person. I don't think it was as good.

Good mention with Secret Life of Bees, that was on Julie's list as well. Maybe I will have to break down and read it, though I hate taking time away from my classics reads. Although that has not always paid off - have I mentioned the whole Jane Eyre debacle?