Friday, May 11, 2007

End of the Year Reflection

I am happy to announce that I have turned in my last paper and finished my last test and the first year of my PhD program has officially come to an end. There are many ways that a man like me could reflect on this last year. If you've been reading since September, you have heard the majority of my reflections. I have learned a lot and I have grown a lot. I feel more confident in my vocation and in my giftings from the Lord to complete this process. (Translation: I'm no longer waiting for them to kick me out.) The things that I have learned will stay with me; some of them I will be ruminating on for the remainder of my life. But all those things, I am certain, will come out on these pages sooner or later.

I thought, therefore, that a more appropriate approach to this year's assessment would be to share with you some of my observations of being in a PhD program at Marquette University, particularly as they differ from my Masters program at Asbury Theological Seminary. Take the following with a grain of salt. I assure you that they are all true, but none of them reflect on the quality of the institution, individual, or education and experience I received or am currently receiving.

Top Five Differences Between Asbury and Marquette:

1. Asbury is an Evangelical Protestant Seminary; Marquette is a Catholic University.
2. Asbury is outside the official ranks of the Methodist Church because it is viewed as "too conservative"; Marquette is outside the official ranks of the Catholic Church because it is viewed as "too liberal".
3. Asbury professors wear collared shirts and occasionally business suits; Marquette professors wear the Collar and occasionally Monastic robes.
4. Asbury's end of the year party consists of a barbecue and Diet Coke; Marquette's consists of a smattering of Wisconsin beers and a selection of fine wines and liquor (provided by the department).
5. Asbury's Final Greek exam was a sight translation of John 15; Marquette's final Greek exam was a sight translation of a passage from Diogenes (I don't even know who that is).

Top Ten Marquette Experiences that would never happen at Asbury:

1. Taking an entrance exam after I had already been accepted.
2. Writing a 25 page paper and being told that not even this is enough space to make a substantial argument.
3. Finding no research in English for a paper I had to write.
4. Hearing the "F Bomb" in class from a professor.
(I did hear an Asbury professor say "Darn it all" once.)
5. Being assigned a new paper (in addition to the impending final) in the final two weeks of the semester.
6. Readung the "F Bomb" in an email from a professor.
7. Hearing the statement: "I can say that the resurrection was probably physical, but that's about all I can say."
8. Facing a professor's look of incredulity when I told him I couldn't read French.
9. Having a meeting with a professor while he had a smoke.
10. Being told I was a "schismatic."

These are the shockers of the year. But I hope you have been able to tell from my posts that the majority of students and teachers at Marquette are strong and faithful Christians, even if they have a beer or a smoke once in awhile.

6 comments:

Kelli B said...

i enjoyed that post. very interesting differences.

CONGRATULATIONS at accomplishing your first year with great success!!! That is awesome Jackson! From your blogs and what I know of most PhD programs - it is no easy feat. I'm really glad you are enjoying it and doing well!

What are your summer plans? What will you do? Summer classes?

Jackson said...

Thanks Kelli!

Summer plans: I get a week off now which I plan to enjoy thoroughly. We have some friends from seminary coming into town next weekend. Then I am taking German for the month of June. Yuck. Or as the Germans would say, Yuch (enter hauck here). Then two months off. Praise God! Hope to make it to Iowa a few times.

Anonymous said...

Jackson: I too want to congratulate you on completing your initial year of your PhD program with flying colors. Do you remember your feelings about being able to compete prior to your first class? It was just the way you felt going from Rogers to Miller, from Miller to MHS and from MHS to ISU. Oh yes and then from ISU to Asbury! Everytime you said to me, "Gee Dad, I don't know if I can do it at this level!" I was always confident that you could compete and no matter how hard you had to work, you would
GET ER DONE! And you have and I
love it!

What the heck is a SCHISMATIC?
Should I as your father take offense? I will if you want me to.

Enjoy your week off and go find someone to play catch with! I love you J. Dad

Julie said...

I love your humor! Only you would reflect this way about your first year in the PhD program. This is what makes you so fantastic and what will make you an awesome teacher. Loved it!

Can't wait to see you in a few short days! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey man-- sounds like I would've fit in. Wouldn't trade our experiences at ATS for anything though...even the broken glass and bare feet.

Anonymous said...

"...the majority of students and teachers at Marquette are strong and faithful Christians, even if they have a beer or a smoke once in awhile."

Well, only God knows for sure, how faithful they, or any of us, are. We're simul justus et peccator as Christians.

I would hope that having a beer or smoke doesn't preclude one's being a "strong Christian". These things are so cultural. C.S. Lewis, Martin Luther, etc., etc., enjoyed
smokes and/or beer.