Thursday, May 31, 2007

Top Ten Experiences

Since we are in the "Top Ten" genre, I thought that I would add one more personal list for your enjoyment, chastisement, what have you. These are the Top Ten Experiences (events, activities, or places) I want to have before I die. (Of course these experiences do not include the obvious ones like graduating, having kids, etc. All of these I want to do, but I think these are assumed.) As always, I welcome any of my readers' "experiences goals" or if you have done something amazing that ought to be on this list, please let me know. I am nothing if not malleable.

----

1. Visit the Holy Land.

(Unfortunately this may never be a possibility in my lifetime due to safety precautions. This is unfortunate because I would love to walk those streets, to see the Garden of Gethsemanie, the supposed sights of all of the events of Christ's life. I'm sure that this experience would move me to tears.)

2. Visit Rome.

(Actually I hope to visit all of Italy. However, Rome tops my list for its history. I specifically want to visit St. Peter's Basilica and take the tour down to the original tomb of St. Peter. I would also hope to visit the Coliseum, where many early Christians lost their lives, and the Catacombs where they were buried and where the early Roman Church met.)

3. See a Sunday of the Masters in Augusta, Georgia.

(Actually, I'd settle for any day of the Masters. But my hope would be to do this when Phil Mickelson is still playing. I could give a rip about Tiger.)

4. Watch the annual two act play of To Kill a Mockingbird in the courthouse square of Monroeville, Alabama.

(Monroeville is the hometown of the book's author Harper Lee. She envisioned this square when she wrote the book and waxed eloquently of the sagging courthouse. Since my friend Matthew Eubanks is from the mecca, this might be a possibility sooner than later.)

5. Go to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York with my father and my son.

(I'm a sucker for sentimentality.)

6. Visit Paris

(Back on the traveling train - there is too much history, literary and otherwise, not to see it.

7. Attend a Papal Mass in Vatican City.

(This might go hand in hand with goal number one. Of course I would prefer to experience this while Pope Benedict XVI is still alive because I think he is amazing, but we will see. My friend Christine experienced mass in a small setting of about twenty people when Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict), and apparently he is a wonderful man.)

8. Have a short story or book published.

(The New Yorker has already turned me down. Perhaps I will aim lower next time.)

9. Visit Savannah, Georgia.

(The city that began my love affair with the South. There would be a lot of sweet tea drunk and perhaps a little bourbon.)

10. Watch a football game in Notre Dame stadium.

(Despite popular Catholic belief, this does not equate with #7 on this list, but it is still pretty darn good.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

good to make this list when you're young - keep it in plain sight so you'll DO all of it!

The biggest drawback to aging is not all the wrinkles, sags and bags, but the slow realization that one just MIGHT not do ALL the things on their list.

But I'm not giving up yet....my list is very long. I'll just mention a few of the biggies.

Hit the open road -- camping trailer, bicycles, golf clubs and Jack in tow -- and not return home until we're ready. go west?
go east? haven't decided yet.
Jack hasn't even decided that he's on board with this, but that's another story.

Get a hole in one....that I actually get to WATCH roll into the cup.

and ofcourse the Holy Land.

I'll add to learn to play a marimba or a trap set, but I know you're rolling your eyes now, jackson.

There's more....I might be back.

MomK

Anonymous said...

Jackson: What a great list. I would absolutely LOVE to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame with you and your son, what a fun trip that would be and we could just get lost there for as long as we wanted to stay.

I would also love to go to the Masters with you. I don't care if it is on Sunday or not and my pick would be Zach Johnson, an Iowa Boy, winning again! What could be better than following one of our own around that COURSE and watch him beat both Phil and Tiger.

I really have never thought about the top 10 things I want to do before I die, but your list and Mom's made me think about it.

My life has been very complete, I can't think of anything that I am dying to do before I die. My comfort level has been pretty high my entire life and the things I've done have been wonderful!

I do want to see my son Jackson earn his PHd from Marquette and I want to be there when he walks across the stage to receive his degree. I also want my parents to be there to see that too because education has always meant so much to both of them and to see one of their grandson's earn a PHd will be an incredible experience for both of them, (Heck, all of us)!

I want to be alive to see all of my grandchildren get married. I want to be healthy enough and sane
enough to know that it is all happening!

And when it is all over, I want to go to Heaven!!!!!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Jackson,

Jenny and I spent ten days in Italy last spring. Our hotel in Rome was a block and a half from Vatican Square and as such we spent most of our time just hanging out in St Peter's. Mass on Sunday was amazing. I looked over and my wife had tears running down her face as all these sweet Italian ladies hugged her during the passing of the peace. Yep...it was a real good trip.

rds
<><

Julie said...

Can I go with you and Julie to the Master's? :) You know that I (heart) Phil!

Kelli B said...

i think you get cooler and cooler with age.

seriously.

i need to make some "top" lists.

Matthew said...

Next spring, my friend, next spring. The Mockingbird is waiting... :)

Jackson said...

So many great comments to respond to! Mom - I too love the idea of hitting the open road. Something about the freedom of it. You certainly have a bit of Clark Griswold in you and you have passed it on to me! Dad - The Baseball Hall of Fame awaits us. We have only to wait for, Godwilling, me to have a son. I wonder if Pete Rose will be in?

Randy - You and Jenny are my kind of people. Love the story of the Papal Mass. Julie and I may be calling you in a few years (and a few saved up bills) to get the name of that hotel.

Julie - I thought Justin Leonard was your man?

Kelli - Thanks for the nice compliment. I guess I am an acquired taste! :)

Matt - Next summer it is my friend.

r o b said...

a very fine list jackson!! i think my list would look something like:

1. get arrested
2. go to Antartica
3. get a story/book published
4. run a marathon (August 13, baby)
5. build my own furniture
6. hike the Appalachian trail
7. brew my own beer
8. be a great uncle
9. learn to play guitar
10. someday be as cool as Jackson

Jackson said...

Number 10 has clearly been accomplished . . . are you not on your way to Alaska while I sit in a little room studying German? I like your idea of getting arrested. We must remember that you did come close one Halloween when you dressed up as the "man who knocked off the IGA." If one of your goals was to light yourself on fire you would have accomplished it that night as well.

Matt Purmort said...

I'll go with you to the Vatican to see B-16. Could we make a slight detour on the way to see Westminster Abbey and St Paul's Cathedral London, I'll let you go to John Wesley's house.

Matt Purmort said...
This comment has been removed by the author.