Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Profound Mystery

I rarely remove my wedding ring these days, not as a sign of my enduring love for my wife (though it certainly is enduring) so much as the perilous fear that I will lose it (the ring that is). And for those of you who know me well, you know that fear is well merited. But I removed my ring today and read, for the first time in awhile, the words etched inside it:

"I have found the one my heart loves."

Though I have always known those words were on the inside of my ring, I was struck anew by their incredible meaning. Not simply because they portray the sweet heart of my wife (who for some reason chose those beautiful words to describe me) but even more so because of where they come from. These are not her words, at least originally. They come from the Song of Songs 3:4. They are, therefore, words embedded in a larger story, a story which, though on the surface is a love poem between a man and his wife, convey the deeper meaning of God's love for his church. The words on my ring come, in the Song of Songs, from the mouth of the woman (who represents the church) in describing her love for her husband (who represents Christ).

The fact that my wife used these words to describe the love of our marriage tells me that her love for me comes under the larger truth of her love for God. She is able to love me because she loves God. This love ought to define all Christian marriage, for we do not (or ought not) marry to fulfill ourselves, but rather to witness to the love of God. This is why the Apostle Paul cannot speak about marriage without referencing Christ. And this is why the Catholic Church holds marriage as a sacrament (incidentally, they are right). But the amazing truth is that this unselfish, charitable love ends up to be the most fulfilling love of all.

"For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. This is a profound mystery - but I am talking about Christ and the church." -Ephesians 5:31-32

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackson,

Your wedding along with the rest of the evening in Cincinnati are among Jenny and my favorite memories of our time in Kentucky. It was such a celebration of God's grace and love for all of us as to be remarkable. And, I wonder if J.D. ever got all that chocolate from the fountain off of his tie?

blessings,

rds
<><

Jackson said...

Thanks for the nice note Randy. It was great having you there! You are two of the people we miss most from our Wilmore days.

Jackson said...

P.S. - You know I never got any chocolate that day???

Kelli B said...

awe! great post!!! i love how nearly everything you reference or speak about, even the love of your life, leads right back around to focusing on the Lord.

that is great purpose and we admire it.