Friday, April 20, 2007

A Blazin' Good Birthday

Today is April 20th. It is my birthday. It is also a counter cultural holiday celebrating the smoking of marijuana. No one knows exactly why. Some link it to a group of teenagers called "The Waldos" who, in 1971, met every day after school (at 4:20) to smoke pot (thank you Wikipedia). Others link it to the slopes at Aspen, where the last run of the day would be about 5 minutes to 4:00, meaning that everyone would get to the bottom at 4:20 and celebrate the day by blazing some doobies. Either way, 4/20 is generally recognized as their national holiday. Happy birthday me.

It should come as no shock to my readers that I have not had any personal experience (on my birthday or otherwise) with the smoking of marijuana. However, it occurs to me that my birthday has been linked to a blaze of sorts.

Nine years ago, my 20th birthday, I was a freshman at Iowa State University and I had volunteered my services as a Parade Aide in the annual VEISHEA parade (VEISHEA is the celebration of Iowa State University). For the average Parade Aide, this would entail walking beside a big float and nothing else. Unfortunately I am not the average person and it meant an entirely different experience for me. It was such a good story that I wrote about it in my weekly column in the Iowa State Daily. If you are interested, you can read it here.

Happy 4/20 bloggers! Stay off the hash.

5 comments:

Julie said...

How hilarious is this post! Of course your birthday has been linked with reefer and why wouldn't your float go up in flames! I laughed out loud as I read your ISU story!
Being your wife, I rarely post on your blog because you are lucky enough to get my thoughts in real time in person :) but it is your birthday so I feel justified in my comments:
I love that this blog reflects the many parts of your personality. You are so intelligent, thoughtful and invest much effort into the task of sharing your thoughts with grace and humility. I love that you seek to please God in all areas of your life, and I LOVE your sense of humor!
So today I thank God for the gift of your life...and thank God that I have the amazing blessing to be your wife!
Happy Birthday

Anonymous said...

Jackson: How lucky are you to have Julie as your wife?! What a nice comment Jules! I don't know about all of that reefer stuff, but I do remember you standing in your blue blazer, kakhie slacks and walkie-talkie helplessly watching your float go up in flames!! You are right, it could only happen to you.

I guessed that Julie's birthday present to you are tickets to a Brewer baseball game. I looked in the paper and saw that they are home tonight, and I'll just bet your lovely wifey gifted you tickets to see the Brewers play.

I love you both.

Jack/Dad

Julie said...

Loved it (and the article). And ditto to your dad and Jules. You're hilarious and deep. A rare find in a a friend!

Jackson said...

No baseball this year. However, we did enjoy one of the finest dining experiences we have ever had! And also a wonderful afternoon bike ride.

Kelli B said...

oh sorry i missed it! happy birthday - late! a lot of days late! tells you how behind on my blog readings i am!

that's a hilarious article about the parade. hope your birthday was great jack-o!