Monday, April 30, 2007

Dead Week?

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I have indeed arrived at the end of this semester, and therefore, the end of my first year of PhD work. It is not quite yet time to send in the clowns or the undertaker as it were. I still have a week and then finals. At Iowa State, this week before finals was aptly named "Dead Week." And though the subjects have changed (and the workload has certainly increased), I think that "Dead Week" is an appropriate title for this week at Marquette as well.

If you are confused as to the meaning of Dead Week, don't feel alone - I too was confused at the onset of my freshman year at Iowa State. But I found out pretty quick. If you'd like to read my thoughts on this subject back when I was a mere 19 year old college freshman, you can check them out here. It's funny to realize that, though it is - incredibly - ten years later, I still have many of the same thoughts. (Enter horrible cliche here.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackson: Dead Week! For some college students who haven't been engaged in their studies during the semester, it is truly a meaning that they may be DEAD after their finals! So many thoughts about if I just would have gone to class, studied harder,
taken notes, listened to the prof.,
if it was a subject I was passionate about, but so many times
undergraduates go into the dead week feeling like there is no way they can do well on their finals.

Because I have been kept up-to-date on your paper writing and studying throughout this year, I know that you will succeed amazingly well with your final papers and tests. You have found your calling and although there have been times when you doubted if you could compete at this high level, you have proven to everyone that you have not only competed but excelled and for that my boy,
I am exceedingly proud papa!!!!
Jack/Dad

Jackson said...

Thanks for the encouragement dad. I actually find out tomorrow morning whether we have a GReek final. We are all holding our breaths! It should be fine either way.

Cardinals lost tonight 12-2. What a blowout! But we had great seats. Saw three homeruns and JJ Hardy went 4/5. Pretty great night - good break from studying.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I watched the game. It was on channel 40 and I stopped watching when the Brewers were up 10-2. Cardinals just looked lifeless didn't they? No doubt it must just be numbing to have to deal with a death of one of their players again. Can't imagine the hurt and loss they must be feeling.

Let me know if you have to take a Greek final. Have you heard yet about your French test yet? Dad

Matthew said...

CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST YEAR, PROF!You referenced "Send in the Clowns." Such a great song..."There ought to be clowns. Quick, send in the clowns. Don't bother, they're here." And so am I, back on your blog...and mine.
Great to see you last weekend. Sorry I missed you last night. I conked out before you called back. I'm not a night owl, I guess. Check out my blog--I wrote another entry--first since January. Pathetic, huh?