Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Je Dois Avoir la Priere

Translation: "I need me some prayer!"

I am taking my French examination tomorrow at 3:00. Why do I need to know le francais (Translation: "that stinkin' language) you may ask. Great question, and one which is particularly forefront on my mind right now. The sinple answer is je ne sais pas. (Translation: "I don't have a dang clue.") Are you confident that you are going to pass, you may ask. The simple answer is: non. (Translation: "Are you drunk?")

All kidding aside, I have realized this year that a reading knowledge of other languages is essential for good scholarship. Not only are the ancient languages important (which for me means Greek and Latin) so as to be able to read the documents of the fathers in the original languages in which they were written, it is also important to know modern research languages (French and German) because much scholarly work is being produced in those languages and it takes a long time for them to be translated into English. Many critical works have never been translated at all! In my field in particular, Patristics, so much work is done by the French that if you are unable to read French, you will never be able to have a good command of scholarship. Additionally, the best modern translations of the ancient documents are not made in English (of course not) but in French - quel dommage! (Translation: well you figure it out). So though it is a pain, it is a necessary.

So all that to say, pray for me - s'l vous plait. Pray not that I would pass because I'm not hoping to be bailed out here. I have worked hard this semester. Just pray that I would be able to think clearly and remember. As always I thank you for these prayers. I feel that you as a community are a big reason that I am able to persevere through this.

Au revoir! (Translation: "HELP!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

bon jour to you. I'm back!
After several weeks in la computer dommage, here I am typing away at my new laptop! Ofcourse all my saved files off my old piece of junk (not really that old actually) are here and there and everywhere, and I have much gathering to do to become once again efficient in all my various roles, BUT.....here I am nonetheless. I have thought of you and your french all week and will be of course praying for you. Will English be sufficient for that? Do your best - I know you will.
Adieu, Adieu, to yieu & yieu & yieu. Love, Julie Andrews aka MomK

Jackson said...

No, no, the praying must be in French! Did I forget to specify? Or you can pray in Hebrew or Greek since that is the language of the Scriptures. Or you can pray in Latin since that is God's language. :)

Thank you for your prayers. Glad you are back in the 21st century with computer access.

Matt Purmort said...

I'll pray for Jackson. God's grace.

Anonymous said...

Jackson: I just read your blog and it is 12:00 on Thursday, April 26th. You will be taking the test in 3 hours and no doubt, many of your family and friends will be praying for you to be clear headed and yes, to PASS! I only know one language, I will let God translate it into French if he chooses, he will get my message, of that I am certain! GOOD LUCK J. Dad