Tuesday, August 07, 2007

On Walking to Work and the Faithfulness of God

My wife Julie has a job for next year! Starting on September 10th, she will be a chaplain at St. Mary's Hospital. St. Mary's is a strong hospital with two locations in the Milwaukee area. She will be working at the one on Lake Avenue (pictured left), which is, incidentally, only five minutes from our apartment! She will be walking to work! This is quite a change from the 35-40 minute drive she now has everyday. Though she is only part time right now, it has been indicated to her that there is a strong possibility of it going full time soon.

This is just one more blessing in a string of blessings that we have experienced since coming to Milwaukee. Yes it is true that it is cold here (except when it is unbearably hot) and yes it is true that we got an inordinate amount of parking tickets in the first months and yes it is true that we have been living on an intern's salary for a year, but these are all incidental to the truth that we have consistently felt God's hand on us here. I do not think it is a matter of God rewarding us for our faithfulness. Rather, I believe that God called us to Himself and we have followed, which led us on paths to one another and then to Milwaukee and now for Julie to St. Mary's hospital.

I leave you with a few of my favorite lines from hymns that celebrate God's faithfulness.
"Great is thy faithfulness." -Thomas O. Chisholm
"Ponder anew what the Almighty can do." -Joachim Neander

"Here I raise mine Ebenezer, hither by Thy help I'm come." -Robert Robinson

9 comments:

Julie said...

Yippee! I am so excited for Julie...this is definitely an answer to many prayers! Give her my love and congratulations.

I'll call again soon...

Anonymous said...

Jackson: You both have been blessed in your journey together, but you have been a blessing to those of us who know you and love you both. As a couple you are an inspiration to watch and know that you follow God's plan for your lives and he has rewarded that faithfulness in so many different ways.

Thanks again for a wonderful visit to your home in the beautiful city of Milwaukee! Where else can you play catch with your son on a Great Lake? I LOVED THAT EXPERIENCE! DAD/JACK

r o b said...

congrats to julie! i know she'll do a fantastic job!

Cindy said...

We continue to be so excited for you both, and all your adventures in Milwaukee!!

Anonymous said...

Jackson! I heard about your blog through Craig Luttrell...I actually joined MySpace through occasional proddings of jealousy from my family being able to communicate with each other. This is great to be able to hear about all of your experiences through the Ph.D process. I was actually going to embark on that process but will wait until I become a principal and can fully support my family. Right now I am living in St. George, Utah (if you ever make it out this way, let me know...I will make the drive to see you and your wife!) I am teaching third grade in a few weeks...a little scared because I have never taught the grade and I still get the upsetting feeling that I might turn out to be Mr. Waite. I hope not! Even though finger hockey was fun! My wife is finishing up her Bachelors degree in education and is doing an internship in 4th grade this year. I am working on my Masters and will have that completed this upcoming summer!
Things are going good. My brother is currently on a mission for my church in North Carolina and my sister is expecting her first child! I am extremely excited to be an uncle.

Jackson...I can't wait to hear back from you. I think this blog site is great and I can see your gift for writing not only in a humorous fashion but also analytically as well...something that you should be able to do in a Ph.D program.

My family and I visited Wisconsin this summer and saw the House on the Rock and the ever so traveled Wisconsin Dells. HAHA! Well, I better run buddy...but it's great to read your thoughts about the things that matter Most!

Your bud,
John (SCOV)

Anonymous said...

Well hello John ! It was fun for ME to hear about YOU and what you're doing! I bet you are a wonderful teacher. You were a sensitive and compassionate kid back when I knew you (as JOHNNY )...those are good qualities for a teacher and a principal. So after you are done being Mr. Waite, are you going to turn into Dr. Renze?
Please greet all your family for me...I have great memories of everyone !
blessings.....your kindergarten teacher :)

Ashlee said...

I'm so excited for Julie's new job! That's awesome! I hope that you guys are doing well...I miss you and think of you often! Love ya!

Jackson said...

Hi John! Great to hear from you. And thanks for the encouragement on the blog. Would love to catch up with you more over email. Is yours still the same? Send me a message!

Ashlee - I didn't know you were around these parts! Great to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Jackson...yes mine is the same! And hellow my Kindergarten teacher! It was great to hear from both of you! You were one of the reasons why I became a teacher...because of the way you taught and the great respect I have for my teachers...only the great ones are remembered and modeled after...and you are one of them!
My wife and I bought a few of your books for our parents to complete. :)
John (Johnny)