Monday, August 27, 2007

First Day of School

Today is the beginning of a new school year for me. I have always loved these new beginnings - when I was a kid, it was so exciting to go back to school, to play at recess with your friends again, to meet your new teacher, to use your new school supplies and to wear your new outfits. In beginning what, hopefully, will be the final year of all my years in education, I find that these little joys are no longer present. I'm currently wearing some pants that I got as a gift two Christmases ago, a shirt I bought last year, and a pair of shoes that I've had since my third year in seminary. In fact, as I think of it, this might be the exact outfit I had on the first day of school last year. My school supplies are the same, simply remove the old notes from the binder and insert some new paper. Of course everything is done on computer now and I can't remember the last time I needed a glue stick or some crayons. I have new professors this year but, quite honestly, that prospect scares me more than anything. Its rather nice to already know what your professor expects. And unfortunately we have no recess here, though it is nice to study with some familiar faces.

And though the joys are not the same, I find that there are indeed still joys. I haven't seen many of my classmates since the spring - one of my friends has been in Australia all summer, another one in Boston. It will be good to see them. I'm excited about my classes. Though there is no anticipation of learning and memorizing more of the multiplication tables or spelling words with three syllables, there is an anticipation of new subject matters, and new horizons to integrate. And as with every beginning, the Lord has new mercies all over the place. We just need to be aware of them, and to appreciate the stage of life in which the Lord has it. Because we will never be here again.

I love being a student.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackson: I was the guy who was always taking the first day of class for you and Andy and Mom!
I never got in those pictures once!! I can't believe on this your last first day of class that Julie didn't line you up in front of your apartment and snap a picture of you with your back pack, your trapper-keeper and your new outfit!

If I have calculated right this is your 24th 1st day of class! That breaks down M'town, K-12 = 13; 4 at ISU; 4 at Asbury; 1 at Lexington Christian Academy; AND 2 at Marquette!

My goodness that is a lot of first day jitters. Aren't you sad they are finally coming to an end? It has been a wonderful run and what a great series of pictures it would have been if we had them from kindergarten through doctoral program! DAD

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't read before posting. First sentence should be taking the (picture)

craigeroo said...

I heard.

r o b said...

you're right. we will never be here again. that's both good and bad. learning to embrace and celebrate that idea is the key to much happiness. hope your final year is full of gold stars and smiley face stickers on tests.

Anonymous said...

I think that a coloring day with crayons would add a beautiful new dimension to seminary. The schedule could list it as a day to learn mercy and grace - mercy because you are not getting the lecture you deserve and grace because instead you are given so much more (path back to innocence and no wrong answers). Of course, this comes from one who would find new appreciation in the reinstatement of nap time.

Jackson said...

Nice comments all!

Fitz said...

You didn't need a glue stick and crayons at seminary?!? You just weren't taking the right classes...