Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Musings from a Beach

"Yet, as everyone knows, meditation and water are wedded forever." -Herman Melville, Moby Dick

(Note to the reader: Since last Friday, my wife and I have been on vacation at Panama City Beach, Florida. When a person sits hour after hour looking out at such a powerful part of God's creation, namely the ocean, he has much time to ponder the deep and the shallow things of life. The following have been some of mine:)

1. There is, perhaps, no place where litter is more visible, and more disturbing, than on a beach.

2. In one of my morning walks, I happened upon a school of minnows swimming in the shallow waters of the ocean. They were constantly being moved by its powerful waves, drug into the shore and then pushed out again. But they kept swimming and together they kept moving. I thought it an apt picture of the church's existence in the world. Pity the poor minnow who finds himself swimming alone.

3. Given that reading is an aesthetic experience entailing not only the words on the page but the surroundings in which they are read, Moby Dick, if it is to be read at all, should be read on an ocean beach.

4. There is a military base nearby. Every so often, a fighter jet or a helicopter flies by piercing the clear, blue air with its stream and the peaceful sounds of the tides with its thrust. It reminds me that even this most serene and peaceful of environments cannot be likened to paradise. For the specter of war is never far off here. Why must this be?

5. George Costanza may have said it best: "The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup in a deli."

6. Take heart freckled ones. I have found that if you stay outside long enough, all of your freckles eventually come together into one and thereby giving you the appearance of actually being tan.

7. The dolphins have been thick here. I have heard it said that dolphins are intelligent enough that if they ever came together, they could take us over. And this, I am told, is something we should fear. Why, I'm not sure. The seem playful enough. Anyway, I don't think they can do much worse than today's average world ruler.

8. Though it might not be the case that the world is my oyster, I can now most assuredly say that the ocean is my toilet.

9. There is little that can be added to the experience of a sunset over the ocean, save a good wife and a good cigar.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Loved your beach musings, several made me laugh out loud. Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

Anonymous said...

Jackson: What a fun post, I really enjoyed everyone of your observations. I know you have thoroughly enjoyed just vegging out on the beach with your lovely wife. That is my kind of vacation, so if you can just sit there for hours and do nothing but breathe in your surroundings, you received those genes from me!!!

I can do the exact same thing while sitting on the dock or deck at our home on Clear Lake. I have never written down my thoughts as I am doing that, but what a great idea and you state your thoughts so concisely and in a very readable way!

QUESTION: (DWIGHT SCHRUUT)
IS THE OCEAN TRULY YOUR TOILET?

DAD

Julie said...

Number 8 disturbs me...

craigeroo said...

My friend, beware. I have heard you must only fear the dolphins if you provide reason for a hostile uprising. Other than tuna nets, dolphins hate nothing worse than nicotine laced urine.

Anonymous said...

Jackson: I agree with Craig...the reason I don't partake in the cheap little can called tuna is because when I was younger my mom told me Flipper was in there!
That scared me for life!

Great musings!