Thursday, July 19, 2007

Internalizing the Story

Recently I was asked to speak to a youth group on the subject of creation vs. evolution. I was quite taken aback at such a topic in the context of youth ministry. When I asked the youth leader why she had chosen this topic, she told me that the kids desired to learn about it. Though I had my reservations, I accepted the invitation because I wanted to serve the church and also because I thought it might be a good opportunity to steer the kids (and perhaps the youth leader) away from this topic as something that is absolutely essential. It is my own opinion, and has been for quite some time, that the creation vs. evolution topic is neither helpful nor productive to discipleship.

Unfortunately, the night did not progress as I had hoped. After my short introduction, I was met with a bunch of blank stares that conveyed to me either one of two things. At best, they were glad I had finished and were wondering when the dodge ball game would start. At worst, they had not understood a word I had said and were wondering when the "Kill the Speaker" game would start. The youth leader tried to help by posing some tough questions, but these were the very questions that launched us into the issue and here I was, a theological student, being asked to meaningfully comment on scientific issues. It is not that I take the approach that faith and science are separate issues by any means. But I am smart enough to know my limits, and the fine points of microevolution progress beyond my limits.

What I wanted the kids to know is that the Word is absolutely clear that God created the heavens and the earth. That he created them ex nihilo ("out of nothing" - though the tradition better fills this in), that humans were created in imagine dei ("in the image of God") and that these are the only points regarding creation on which I think we must be absolutely resolute. After all, there is nothing in Scripture that suggests any kind of a projection at how old the earth is. There is nothing in Scripture that gives an actual duration of time of creation, or when humans first appeared. And furthermore, there is no claim of Scripture that the Genesis account is to be taken as scientific fact.

But alas, I am not sure that any of my points or any of my stammerings through the difficult questions got through to the kids. There are two reasons for this: 1) my poor communication skills; and 2) they were not trained to hear what I was saying. While I am the first to admit that I have difficulties making myself understood (my wife would be the second to admit this), I must say that the latter reason was the primary point of contention that night.

The fact is that these kids had not been well trained in the story of Scripture. And when I say this, I do not mean that they didn't know some bible stories or that they hadn't memorized any verses in Genesis or elsewhere. Indeed they may have. What was lacking in these kids was a good overall grasp of the story of Scripture from beginning to end. They didn't understand why it is crucial to believe that God created the heavens and the earth. They didn't understand the story of redemption and what that says about us and what that says about God. And furthermore, they didn't understand what Scripture itself is.

Rather, their understanding of Scripture was something that was dropped from the sky to be read absolutely literally. Their understanding of why it was necessary to believe that God created the heavens and the earth was simply that the bible says so. They had no concept of the bigger picture. And folks, it does not take a seminary education to understand these things. All it takes are good teachers who diligently form their pupils in these stories. Teachers who themselves know God and the story of salvation. Teachers who jettison "bible trivia" and, yes, even "Scripture memorization" in order to instill the whole story, beginning, middle, and ending, into their students. Teachers who model for their students how to read and how to understand Scripture. Maybe we can better appreciate why catechism in the early church was a three year process.

These students had not been trained in this manner and as a result, they were ill prepared for the topic of creation vs. evolution (few of us are).

I want to leave us with a question. Why are we always rushing ahead to these ethical and philosophical questions such as creation vs. evolution or the rightness or wrongness of abortion, homosexuality, euthanasia, pick your trendy topic? How can any of us expect to rightly decide on these issues if we have not first internalized God's story? If we have not first learned how to read and how to understand Scripture? The simple answer is that we cannot. And this is why we see such ill informed theological arguments on both sides of these issues in the public square. For the problem I saw in the youth group that night is not a problem confined to youth but is a problem that is pervasive throughout the church.

We need to first do the hard (but extremely interesting) work of internalizing the story of Scripture that we may truly (as truly as we can this side of heaven) understand the mind of God before we can hope to make intelligent arguments in these issues. Does this mean that we postpone all moral reasoning until this happens? Of course not, this would be impossible as we make moral judgments every day.

What it might mean is a changing in the manner in which we study the Word of God. It might mean that instead of doing bible studies on abortion or war or the death penalty, we rather do them on the story of creation, the story of Israel, the story of the prophets. It might mean that instead of a pastor doing a sermon series on how to Christianly budget your money he or she does a series on the story of the Acts of the Apostles or the story of Revelation. What I am talking about requires the uprooting of some fairly strongly ingrained habits in many of us - but it is necessary.

And as the story of God tells us, the Spirit will help plant new soil.

9 comments:

Julie said...

While I am the first to admit that I have difficulties making myself understood (my wife would be the second to admit this)
Actually my dear, I would not say that you have generally have difficulties making yourself understood! I think you are working to Tailor the depth of your knowledge to lay audience. I have always said I would rather deal with death and crisis all day than be a youth pastor! God bless youth pastors, just not my gig :)

r o b said...

damn jackson, that's good stuff. i couldn't agree with you more! it seems that each sunday morning we get a sermon with one or two bible verses sprinkled in conveniently instead of someone giving us "the bigger picture". you share great words of wisdom my friend!!

and i think you probably did a better job with those punk ass kids than you know.

Kelli B said...

Word.

[insert image of fist pump in the air]

I echo the desire to see churches and communities of believers getting "back to the basics" and becoming immersed in the Word of Truth - letting THAT rule our lives and our conversations, and letting that knowledge and the Spirit conform our moral viewpoints.

Youth can be tough! I was one of them! Way to put yourself in that situation.

Julie said...

Amen and thank you. That is all...

craigeroo said...

Well said, sir.

r o b said...

i was thinking more about your post as i was running last night. it seems like sunday school was traditionally the way laypeople received deeper biblical instruction. and it seems like sunday school is becoming a thing of the past. with a one hour weekend service containing a 15 or 20 minute sermon as the only scripture-based teaching many laypeople receive, we're doing a great disservice to the laity by using isolated verses in sermons. i can't remember the last time i heard a preacher take a passage and explain the surroundings verses, etc. Generally speaking, many preachers use one verse to reinforce their bulletin point and then move on to the next bulletin point. as a result we have a laity that is less and less familiar with the bigger picture, the deeper story which runs through all of the smaller ones. and that foundation is essential for responsibly representing an accurate Gospel message of hope and truth and love.

Jackson said...

Hi Rob-

This is exactly what I'm talking about. If you read the old sermons of the Fathers or even the sermons of Wesley or Spurgeon, you realize that these guys did not much more pontificating on the big picture. The overwhelming concern of these preachers was "who God is." Somewhere along the way, this sense was lost and pastors started focusing on issues or topics. My guess is that they perceived the needs of their congregants to be more practical and thought that sermons about money or budgeting what have you better met their needs.

But what we need as Christians is the story of God. We can get plenty of self help things from other books. And to be quite honest, a Christian is not defined by how he or she budgets his or her money or how he or she decides to diet. A Christian is defined by the story he or she follows. And the reason why authentic Christians are so hard to locate in this culture is because we have lost that story - we follow other ones because they are louder.

Anonymous said...

Jackson: So as a lay person reading all of these semaritan's comments, Why have seminaries allowed this type of teaching from their graduates. It seems to me that the senior pastors in each church determine what the message of the week will be and the different series that they embark on are not set by the congregation. Do these pastors feel that the ordinary lay person would be bored with the larger picture of what the Bible is really saying?

It seems to me that the professionals should be setting the agenda for what is being preached not the lay people. How did the church lose it's way? If all of these Asbury Theology students agree with your premise, why isn't Asbury and other seminaries following the way you all think? Why do all of these seminary students agree with you? Why aren't more churches doing what you all suggest they do?

We lay people can't tell the pastors what we want to hear. It seems to me that the things I enjoyed the most about Tim Trudeau's ministry is that he was an amazing teacher. His entire sermons revolved around Biblical based stories and he was passionate about wanting his congregation to learn and to be exposed to these characters. I loved that about him.

What makes seminaries believe that the average lay person doesn't want to learn more about the giant Bible story? I think seminaries should re-evaluate what they are sending their graduates into the field to preach! What do you think?
Dad

Jackson said...

Hey Dad-

Great comments. I have actually been ruminating on these questions for awhile now and I think that my next post will address some of the reasons for the decline of the biblical story in preaching. Stay tuned!