Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What should a Christian look like?

Throughout the years, Christians have spent a good deal of time and energy concerned with what a Christian should look like. That would be perfectly appropriate if I were talking about the inside, how a Christian should act, think, serve others, and the like. Unfortunately, history has shown us that Christians often seem more concerned with what a Christian looks like physically. Thus it is that we get such horror stories as white European missionaries making all Native American children cut their hair, and the horrendous and preposterous belief that African Americans are the cursed descendants of Ham (Gen 9:22-27) simply because their skin is dark.

This also comes through in many modern portrayals of Jesus. Many drawings of Jesus from the twentieth century portray Jesus as a white European. A more recent picture of Christ is more reminiscent of Michael W. Smith than a Palestinian Jew (my friend Jen always called it the "Brad Pitt Jesus"). I also remember an uproar over a picture of Mary on the cover of Time Magazine a few years ago because she looked "too dark." My friends, these were Jews who lived in the desert! Their skin was likely very dark. Jesus walked around in the desert and slept on the ground. If he wasn't dark from the sun, he was probably dark from the dirt. My guess is that he might look like someone whom many would turn away from if they saw him walking down the street; the same people who would do a double take if such a person walked into their church. The only reason? He doesn't look like us.

Jesus warned against this very thing in a parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted." (Luke 18:10-14)

A slightly more contemporary story also captures the point: A few years ago a popular Christian singer/songwriter came to Asbury College to give a concert. Asbury College and Asbury Seminary both have ethos statements requiring their students to promise that they will not "drink, smoke or chew or run with the girls that do." (This comes from the Holiness tradition out of which the schools stem.) Although it is not the intent of the statements, they are often misinterpreted to be claiming that Christians never smoke and never have a drink and never consort with "those types of people."

It is said that that same week, a strange man was frequently seen around the campus of the seminary. He stood out because he had long hair, dirty clothes and he was always barefoot. He especially stood out when he smoked his cigarettes. Few put it together, however, that this strange man was the Christian artist himself. His name was Rich Mullins, one of the most Christlike figures of the twentieth century.

The Good News is that Christ came into the world to save all people of all cultures of all classes. Therefore, there can be no official "way" that a Christian should physically look. Because any possible way a person can look on this earth is a possible way for a Christian to look. That is the beauty of God's creation and will be the beauty of his kingdom.

7 comments:

Matthew said...

You might just be a modern day scholar, in addition to a genius scholar and the best friend a guy could have. Beautiful thoughts and words reminding us that there is room in the Kingdom for all kinds of people. That's a reminder I need to hear often. You are gracious and wise, my friend.

r o b said...

Damn straight!! Preach it Jackson.

Anonymous said...

Jackson: Where did all of this wonderful insight come from? Surely it has been in you for all of your 29 years. No doubt it has been nourished by all of those theological courses you have taken. You certainly have a great way of putting those internal thoughts down on paper. GOOD JOB!

As a white 59 year old male with a perfect little wife and a wonderful family, the natural way for me to think about Jesus is to imagine he was just like me.After reading your blog, I'm inclined to believe that he didn't look at all like me or the people I usually associate with. However, when I pray I do imagine that I am praying to the "Brad Pitt" Jesus
because that is how I would want Jesus to have looked. Isn't that the picture they use at the Walk to Emmaus? I need a visual idea of who I am praying to,and I like that picture. Is that wrong? I have never imagined that the Jesus I am praying to is a dark skinned man. This post however makes me think about that in a different way. My life has always been very homogeneous and I have a pretty high comfort level and that Jesus doesn't want us to be comfortable or at least too comfortable!

By the way did you ever do any of those things or run with the girls who do, while you were an Asbury Seminary student. You can tell me,
I will never tell anyone!!!!!

Dad

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Rich Mullins smoked...oh yeah, your other points were good too.

Matt Purmort said...

Great post Jackson.

Jackson said...

Hi Dad-

I think the reason for my post was not so much a warning not to picture a certain drawing of Christ in prayer as it was to warn against thinking that Christians must look a certain way, mainly like white Europeans. Certainly I think that picturing an image of Christ in prayer helps focus our prayers, gives us inspiration to pray. And it is only natural that our thoughts of who Jesus was looks like us. We must not, then, criticize other cultures (as I have seen done) for drawing pictures of Jesus in their image - such as an Asian Jesus or an African American Jesus.

I think it always helpful to remember that in our thinking of what Jesus looked like to remember that it is not exactly like a certain picture we like, lest we fall into idolatry.

Anonymous said...

Jackson: Good point, I think I understand. When I started writing I forgot that you were talking about how people view Christians from the outwardly appearance. As I was writing I somehow thougth about how I view Jesus and that was not your point at all. Anyway, great food for thought. Thanks
Dad