Saturday, January 13, 2007

Passing through the Graveyard

On Friday, I spent the hours between 10:00 and 4:00 at Holy Hill Monastery, a Discalced Carmelite monastery, a holy site just a half hour outside of Milwaukee. The Carmelite order started in, I believe, the 12th century when a group of hermits gathered on Mt. Carmel, the famous mountain of 1 Kings where Yahweh holds back the rain through the prophet Elijah to show the prophets of Baal that he has no power. Soon, however, the Carmelites were scattered.

The order was revived in the fifteenth century by St. Teresa of Avila, who, among other things, insisted that those of the order go barefoot or wear sandals in order to identify with the poor. From this point on, they were known as the Discalced (barefoot) Carmelites. Another well known figure of the order was Saint John of the Cross, the mystic who was famous for his book The Dark Night of the Soul. The order emphasizes personal prayer and communion with God, as the monks spend at least two hours a day in silent, individual prayer. This prayer is often modeled after St. Teresa, who liked to imagine that she was in the Garden of Gethsemanie with her suffering Lord as she prayed.

As we drove to the monastery, I was surprised to notice that we passed through an old graveyard, which occurred to me as an odd place for one - we were driving on a busy highway after all. But sure enough, lining both sides of the highway were hundreds of small white gravestones, such that we literally drove directly through. I did not give it much of a thought at the time.

Later, as I was kneeling at my pew in the beautiful sanctuary praying and looking up at Christ on the cross, the Christ who died for me, I was reminded of the graveyard that we passed through. I began to name all of the parts of me that needed to die, that needed to be uprooted, that needed to be left at that altar. I realized that the passing through the graveyard was symbolic of what needed to happen at that monastery, and what needs to happen everyday of my life. So often we use benign language to explain Christianity, that all one needs to do is have faith in Christ. But we also fail to realize that having faith in Christ means dying.

"I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live but Christ that lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself up for me." -Galatians 2:20

When we are placed in the waters of baptism, we die; when we come out of the waters of baptism we are raised to new life, a life which is not our own, but Christ in us. Passing through that graveyard yesterday helped me to remember my baptism, and reminded me that I have some catching up to do.

4 comments:

Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Redsfan389 said...

Hey Mr. Lashier...through an email Michael Graves encouraged us to read some of your blogs. Just set up the blog and don't really have time to respond now. I have been fairly consistent in reading your thoughts, and have been continued to be amazed by the spiritual insight you possess. So my encouragement, keep blogging and I will try to keep commenting.

Linkages & ShoeStrings said...

I thought of your blog when I read the following this morning:

"The meaning of self-denial is not an infliction of personal torment nor penance, but it is simply the giving up of the very principle of living for ourseves. It is completely changing the direction of our being and will, so that no longer in any sense do we act with reference to how anything will affect us, but our one thought is how it will affect God or others."
A.B. Simpson.............Jackson, have you ever read this person? I hadn't ever heard of him except that in the past few weeks, two quotes that I appreciated just happened to be from him. Who is he? Well, to be that person that is described above is surely a lofty (or lowly) goal, and would seem impossible to become COMPLETELY that way, as long as we are stuck with this sinful nature of ours! Thanks for another thoughtful blog......I am looking forward to hearing more about your retreat and all your new classes.
May God work great things in you this semester as you seek to glorify Him with all you learn.
Love, MomK

Jackson said...

I have never read AB Simpson, or heard of him for that matter, but he certainly sounds like he knows what he is talking about and would be well worth the time. Especially like the definition of self denial as "completely changing the direction of our being and will." Reminds me of Dennis Kinlaw's definition of sin and redemption, the first being the curving inward of ourselves toward self love and the second being the turning away or out of ourselves to love of God and love of others. Good thoughts.