Monday, October 30, 2006

The Dreaded Retake

I know that many of my readers are faithful and consistent prayers - in fact I consider many of you role models in an area that I, quite frankly, struggle in. Therefore, I use this short blog for an update and a prayer request.

Marquette has an exam that all incoming PhD students have to take. It is a "pre-boards" of sort testing students on the knowledge that they have, or should have, acquired from their masters program. There are six different areas: Old Testament, New Testament, History 1 (early church to the medieval period), History 2 (late medieval period to modern), Theology and Ethics (Catholic Social Teaching). They offer such a daunting exam in order to make sure that all of their students are in the same place as they begin the PhD program. A seemingly adequate reason, however, it doesn't make it any easier for us rubes who never had Catholic Social Teaching (and I know of no other school who requires such an exam). But hey, I've never been one to complain.

I spent my entire summer studying for the exam (except for the two weeks we moved). Those in my family will remember the numerous boatrides that I missed to stay at the house reading obscure figures like Rahner and Tavard. Then, to add a little salt in the exposed wound, I had to take the blessed thing (an all day exam) on my second wedding anniversary.

The good news is that I passed five out of the six sections, failing only in history 2 (a bit problematic since I am emphasizing in historical theology). This means that I have to retake the part I failed (which was only one question), and that retake is Wednesday. I started studying fairly hard for it yesterday and will do so all day today and tomorrow (except for short breaks to attend classes). I'm feeling fairly good about it, as I remember much of what I studied this summer and I've acquired more notes in my short time here. Wednesday morning I will answer one question and be done with it. If I pass, no more will be said of it. If I fail, I will have to take a masters level class in the area, which will be quite expensive and will slow my program down a bit.

Hence the post. Please pray for me! Pray that I might remember this stuff and that I might be able to think clearly and (more importantly) write clearly on Wednesday morning - I had to retype a few questions the first time around. Pray also for my handwriting teacher who apparently didn't teach me a lick about good penmenship. That is all.

5 comments:

Linkages & ShoeStrings said...

As one who prays for you daily,Jackson, I really appreciate specifics to work into my conversations with God (and they also serve to remind me about the blessings and travails going on up there in your world) So, ofcourse I'll be praying for you and your test.

But on the matter of your hand writing education - I feel compelled to remind YOU that it was probaby quite adequate. I'm sure that teacher did every single thing that the hand-writing teaching manual said to do. How the student goes on to massacre the art as he matures, is quite possibly no fault of the teacher's.

Press On......
(with a firm, bold, and consistent hand, taking your time to round out all letters, dot all i's and cross all t's.)
Love, MomK

Linkages & ShoeStrings said...

You didn't know when you wrote this post that both your parents would give you a public penmanship flogging did you? Well, since that just might be your worst skill, we can all be thankful that God had you in mind when he purposed the invention of computers and email and Microsoft Word! Loving you still, MomK

Jackson said...

You might be quite optimistic to say that my penmanship is my worst skill. Have you ever seen me wrestle? Wait, I guess you have. As I recall from the home videos, you were just screaming for me to hold out and not get pinned! These from the same folks who called me winger. Geesh!

Thanks for the prayers. :)

Julie said...

I am already praying for you, dear friend. I have a post-it on my computer (in my fabulous penmanship...just kidding) to remind me to do so tomorrow morning while you write. I echo the prayers of your mom and dad that you would be deliberate and calm as you transfer head knowledge to your hands.

Kelli B said...

praying for you jackson...also added a post-it note to pray for you on Wednesday. :)