Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Narcissistic Update

I do not know if there is anyone still reading who would appreciate an update on my studies (who has not been in contact with me otherwise), but in the rare chance, I thought I would pause to be a bit narcissistic. But then again who am I kidding? Sometimes it seems that blogging is nothing but one big project in narcissism, especially when your readers are not given to commenting much.

In any case, I am in my fourth semester of classes, which means that I am officially done with course work this May (May 8th to be exact). On that blessed day, I will have completed my course work. This means nothing except that now I have the opportunity to sit for exams. Some places call them boards. The people at Marquette, who I've discovered have a penchant for acronyms, refer to them as the DQEs, or the Doctoral Qualifying Exams. I am planning on sitting for those sometime in the late fall. If I pass them, then and only then, will I have earned the right to be called a PhD candidate. So if some of you have been thinking of me as a PhD student, the joke is on you. Actually, the supreme joke, I think, is on me. For all this means is that the last two years of my life have been in a sort of limbo state. I'm not a PhD student, what the heck am I? Fortunately, this nihilistic problem will be resolved if I pass my exams.

The procedure is as follows: three days, six hours a day, four written essays (averaging 7-10 pages a piece) and an oral exam. I'm not sure what happens at an oral exam but I must admit that it does not sound very pleasant. I have consulted my DQE board, which consists of five distinguished professors, and they have each given me (or required me to give them) a bibliography covering a certain area. For example, one of my history questions will focus on the Trinitarian controversies of the fourth century. Thus my bibliography will consistent of primary sources from the major players of that century, as well as past and current secondary sources each having varying theses on what happened. When the test comes, I will be asked a comprehensive question about that time period. The bibliography is the map that guides the question, in other words, my professor cannot ask me something that is not covered by the bibliography. Conversely, I am responsible for everything on the bibliography - and these are long mothers.

So for the next five or six months (following May 8th), I will be reading through my various bibliographies and forming outlines to answer projected questions in my various areas. In the fall I will begin meeting with the professors of my board to discuss what I have read to hopefully focus in on questions. With some professors, I may have a fairly good idea of what I will be answering going into the test. With others, I may know nothing but generalities. Here is what I know so far.

Major area: History

1. Trinitarian thought of the apologists, particularly Justin Martyr (second century)

2. Trinitarian controversies of the fourth century

3. Theory of knowledge in Thomas Aquinas

Minor area: Bible

1. Romans

Minor area: Theology

1. Karl Barth on revelation

This is likely more than any of my readers wanted to know, but I put out there for anyone who does. If you have knowledge of any books or articles that might be useful, please send me a note. Otherwise, I ask for your prayers now as I begin what is sure to be a very long preparation process.

In other narcissistic news, as a celebration of the end of course work, Julie and I will be heading to Italy for two weeks! We will be going with her parents and her great uncle Virgilio Sala who will serve as a tour guide. We absolutely cannot wait.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackson,

Thanks for the update...and you are a PhD Student in our eyes of all your humble admirers.

The trip to Italy is one to which you should genuinely look forward. When Jenny and I stayed in Rome, our hotel was just two blocks from Vatican Square with a view of the dome of St. Peter's out our window. We spent almost all our time just hanging around the Vatican--wait till you see the hall of tapestries in the museum. Mass on Sunday morning is a "don't miss" experience as well.

Blessings on finishing out the semester.

rds
<><

Julie said...

Thank you for this crucial and not at all narcissistic update (nice word, though). I live vicariously through your PhD studies and eat up a post like this one. Please do not take my lack of commenting to mean I'm not reading. I check in often, my brother!

I must say, I am more than a little jealous that you and Julie get to go to Italy. I am dying to go! Love and miss you both!

Jackson said...

Good to hear from you Randy. I could not be more excited about the Italy trip. There will be plenty of Vatican as well as some catacombs in addition to the normal places (Coliseum etc.). My family has been generous enough to let me plan that portion of the trip. We will also spend a day and night in Assisi. This is the closest thing to a pilgrimmage I have ever experienced (unless you consider my five years in the holy city one long pilgrimmage).

Julie - glad you are still reading. I'm not sure that you want to live vicariously through PhD studies. Experiencing it first hand is not often all it is cracked up to be. Especially in a month like this. We miss you too.

Julie said...

P.S. Has it always been Thomas Aquinas? I thought you were going in another direction earlier...

Jackson said...

I am not going to pursue Thomas Aquinas for my dissertation. But for these questions we have to be a bit broader than the dissertation focus.

r o b said...

i echo the thanks for the update. and also with julie, just because i haven't commented doesn't mean i haven't been reading. your blog is a great post-seminary brain feed. thanks for all the great theological brain food! and i hope italy is restful and a great time to connect with julie's family.