Monday, January 21, 2008

"Where Have You Gone, O Apostles' Creed?"

Paul Simon's classic line might not work lyrically in this instance, but the sentiment remains. There has been much about the United Methodist Church (as a whole) that has been disappointing to me lately, but I must say that I was still quite shocked yesterday morning when after handing out the Apostles' Creed to our senior high Sunday School class, all of them replied that they had never seen this. Now I know that this is not true because we say the Creed in our baptismal liturgy. However, I would not expect a high schooler to remember it had he or she only recited it a few times in their lives. Yet, I was shocked because these were all students who had been confirmed in the United Methodist Church. And I have to ask, if they are not teaching the Apostles' Creed, then what are they teaching?

My shock continued as they showed no interest in its history, its origin, its purpose, or anything else that a mildly educated Christian might express. Rather, they said that they saw no way that it could relate to them and the struggles of their everyday lives. This is a sad situation and a judgment - not necessarily on the kids themselves - but the education to which they have been exposed.

So in the next few weeks of our Sunday School class, Julie and I will be teaching on the Apostles' Creed. Each session will focus on one of the articles. (For example, next week's study will focus on "I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.") For each class, we will examine where the doctrine was found in Scripture, what dangers are present were one not to believe the article (the traditional name for this is heresy), and finally, how this belief does indeed (or can indeed) affect their everyday lives. We will be using as a guide the wonderful book by Luke Timothy Johnson, The Creed: What Christians Believe and Why It Matters. If you've never read it and are looking for some excellent reading material that will be both educational and edifying to your spiritual experience, I highly recommend it.

We need prayers for this project as we are fighting an uphill battle against disinterest and apathy. We will update on this blog as the course progress.

5 comments:

Kelli B said...

I'm very interested in this series. Please keep posting on how it goes. I have some credit at the book store too...might just pick this one up and see what you're talking about.

Julie said...

I am so glad that you two are doing this. I fear we are losing sight of our heritage...which brought us to where we are in the first place. I will definitely be praying for y'all and look forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks for the book recommendation, too!

Jackson said...

Thanks for the encouragement Kelli and Julie. Kelli- might I also recommend the book "Simply Christian" by NT Wright. I have not read it myself but have heard it is excellent from a number of trusted sources. It seems to be along the same lines as Johnson's book.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jackson,

On Wright's Simply Christian...it is a solid book but its a bit like Pannengerg's "Basic Questions in Theology" in that there is nothing "basic" about it.

rds
<><

Jackson said...

Thanks Randy. Sort of like how Thomas Aquinas wrote that the Summa was for beginners. Yeah right. If beginner means that you are born with a healthy dose of Aristotelian logic.