Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Experiment

In a previous blog, I related the classes that I will be taking this semester. The astute reader, and I know that you are all astute readers, will surely realize that the majority of my blogs this semester will have something to do with either Romans, Thomas Aquinas, or the church, as we tend to think about (and some of us) blog about the things that we are learning. There is one other area from which I will probably be crafting a lot, perhaps the majority, of my blogs. For this past Sunday a great experiment began.

Julie and I began teaching the senior high Sunday School class at our church, Trinity Pilgrim United Methodist Church. Some may call it an adventure (you never know what those kids are going to say), some may call it foolish (nothing short of three people approached me on Sunday to tell me that they had tried teaching the high schoolers and they had quit), but I prefer to call it an experiment. It is an experiment to see if the wonderful theological training I have received over the last five or six years actually "works" in church and, moreover, in the youth culture.

I am here reminded of a story that one of my seminary professors told me. Several years ago, there was an African tribe who had come to Christ through the ministry of a missionary from North America. After several years, there grew a desire that the tribe begin to lead themselves, and so they sent one of their promising young men to an American seminary in order to learn from the great minds about the bible so that he could then teach these truths to the tribe. After an absence of over four years, the tribe anxiously awaited the young man's return. When he did, they put him right into the pulpit to preach. But he was speechless. After standing there for a long time, the missionary pulled him aside and asked what the problem was. The young man said that he was not sure how to preach what he had learned to his tribe. How does "expiation" or "transubstantiation" translate? This man had to go through another course to relearn the Christian faith in his own language.

It strikes me that Julie and I are in a similar position here. We've spent the last few years learning a language and learning how to meaningfully discuss things in terms of that language. Specifically, I have spent the last few days in a quite interesting debate over the first few chapters of Romans. But this all means nothing in the context of senior highers. We, like the missionary, might be speechless in front of these kids. Unless we find a way to translate it into their language and their culture. And this is why I call it an experiment. I believe that our learning can be translated; it has to be, otherwise the academy has lost all touch with the church and has therefore become a useless entity. We have evidence that it has been translated through the years - this is why the Apostle Paul wrote in Greek (the language of the people) instead of Hebrew (the language of the faith). The question is, and the experiment will be, whether we can find the effective means to make that translation happen. If we can, then we have a chance of reaching these kids and impacting their lives with the truth of God's story. If we can't, then we might as well not waste their time - and I might as well start thinking of another profession.

We need your prayers in this experiment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackson: I remembering teaching Sunday School to middle school students back at Elim Lutheran Church when I was 23 or 24. It is a challenge, but if you win them over, you have done something that most people are unable to do. Just the fact that you and Julie agreed to this experiment speaks volumes about your character. It is always easier to say, they don't want to learn anything, why am I wasting my time? But you didn't and I commend you for being bold and trying to make what you have learned in seminary relavant to high school students in Milwaukee.

Good for both of you, I'm proud that you have taken this responsibility on. I can't think of two other people that will have a better shot at convincing high schoolers that what the Bible says speaks to them. Just because you are both there, these students will respect who you are and what you are doing to help them become more informed Christians. Dad

craigeroo said...

Hey Jackson-- Don't sweat it, man. You're cool, you're hip, and you married well--what teenager can't appreciate that? A couple of suggestions: Try and dress either Emo (Julie can lend you some black eye liner) or at least wear a flannel and backwards cap. That was cool when we were in school, so I'm sure it's still cool since trends last over a decade. Also, buy an X-box and punish the kids in some Halo. Oh yeah, and get a tat on your boob. I'll be praying for you, of course!

Kelli B said...

I cant wait to hear how it goes...definately would be an experiment. I'm glad you are putting yourselves in that position though - you have a lot of knowledge and a lot of skill portray truth to individuals, and youth especially need people who are willing to trudge through the difficulty of communicating with them because it means so much. And impacts them for years to come.

Keep at it! Keep experimenting, keep adjusting to the needs, and you will get through to them.

Jackson said...

Thanks for the encouragement all. I forgot to say in the blog that we welcome (and need) any suggestions you all have - things you have tried in the past that have worked or have not etc. We're relying on the communion of saints for help in this one. Can we ever do anything alone?

Anonymous said...

Hey Jackson,
As a fellow teacher...trying to win some kids (let alone teenagers) over in an hour session is hard but possible. Just be yourself but have them connect with the Bible. Connections with any text is the key because then they have a stake in their learning. I love this...and this is so true for all of us and especially for your "experiment"..
"that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer...I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning". All missionary work and teaching in church is to persuade people until they know it for themselves, furthermore, liken is the same as connecting...and in all teaching both secular and spiritual...is the key!
I hope this helps...I also wanted to tell you that I am going to be a published author. I need to get ahold of your mom and ask for some advice in the book publishing arena.
Talk to you later bud,
Your fellow Saint,
JOHN