Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Placid Sea of Contradictions

For the first time today, I was struck by the odd situation in which I find myself. It is clear that I am in a scholarly setting, replete with world class thinkers who regularly wax eloquent about topics ranging from what Paul meant by the de in a single verse of Romans to what Arius ate for breakfast on the morning of his condemnation to what Rahner was thinking at Vatican II. I have a professor who regularly slips in and out of foreign languages and I'm not sure he knows he's doing it. Just today I walked out of a class dizzied by the amount of information that had just been poured into me, wondering if I would ever be able to assimilate it all, but thanking God that I am in such an environment that allows me the opportunity. And then I am passed by a kid in a Hollister shirt with an upside down Abercrombie visor, and an Ipod turned up so loud I can hear every word to "Funky Cold Medina."

Surrounding this hallowed center of academia is your typical college campus. You have your philosophers sitting on the steps, your pseudo hippy strumming a guitar, your smokers around the back, girls dressed to the nines next to girls who just rolled out of bed, dudes playing frisbee to impress them all, the activist who's giving everyone an earfull, the ROTC candidates in Desert Storm Camouflage, the guy handing out fliers to the volleyball game to which no one will go, and on and on and on. I mean, its like I'm watching an episode of Dawson's Creek Season Five. I swear I heard "Semi Charmed Kind of Life" playing in the background.

As contradictory as it may seem, the setting just feels right. It is good to be back on a college campus again. Because despite all the ridiculousness, learning does happen, minds are shaped and lives are transformed. Though I'm often reminded that I didn't attend one of those "one-word" schools (Duke, Harvard, Princeton) and I frequently get double takes when I say I graduated from Iowa State University, I'm thankful for the experience - it profoundly shaped me. It took me from a frightened boy to a young man ready to impact the world, or at least my small part of it. Following that were four incredible years at Asbury Theological Seminary, another gem that doesn't get much recognition. It wouldn't be too much to say that I saw God there, even if it was just glimpses. And I certainly saw an authentic display of the People of God. Somehow I suspect that Marquette will be the perfect blend of both. And who knows? I might see God even in the kid in the Hollister shirt.

Will Tone Loc ever die?

9 comments:

Linkages & ShoeStrings said...

Hey, Jackson...

I just love reading your blog! This entry took me right back to the enjoyable memory of reading your columns in the Iowa State Daily....a plethora of references (many of which ofcourse I did not know, yet got your drift nonetheless) a little something for everybody, some chuckles and great thoughts at the same time.
As you know, I'm new at the business of blogging, but see that is IS intruiging indeed! I predict that, almost as much as reading your posts, I am looking forward to reading your fellow bloggers' comments, sitting in on repartee of your friends, old and new. Thank you for doing this.....gives me one more reason for escaping tasks at hand to enjoy staring at my computer screen. ain't tecnologi grate? Love, MmK

Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jackson said...

That's right . . . didn't you see Lynda Rondstadt playing guitar on the steps of Beardsheer Hall?

Theophany@Church Street said...

No, the answer to your question is Tone Loc will never die, and maybe he should have been at Vatican II instead of Rahner; maybe your professors should slip in and out of the verses to 'Funky Cold Medina' instead of Akkadian and Attic Greek. Now that's a seminary that I would attend. The church would definitely be more relevant--and after all, I want as much relevance as I can handle.

I must say that I prefer thinking of you walking around the Marquette campus with the theme song to 'Saved by the Bell: the College Years' playing in the background. Cue light flange guitar effects (perfected by guitarists like Eddie Money and the truly inimitable Jesus Jones)....'And I'm standin' at the edge of tomorrow...TODAY!!'

Glad to hear that everything feels right there...even better to see you 'keep it real' with this post. Long live the 90s.

Jack

P.S. I'll try not to talk a load of rubbish the next time I respond. Couldn't resist today. Enjoyed the blog.

Jackson said...

Actually Jack, if I wasn't mistaken, the professor who slips in and out of languages, today slipped into a little "Brass Monkey, that funky monkey." Which begs the further question - will the Beastie Boys ever die?

Linkages & ShoeStrings said...

The young lady I found out later to have been Linda Rhonstadt probably rarely got close enough to a class to be found on the steps of Beardshear. That was my impression anyway, and it takes one to know one. It was our dorm, good old Welch Hall, fall of '65. stop hey what's that sound? Long live the 60's.
MmK

John David Walt said...

this blog rocks. great work.

Kapakash said...

That brought back some memories. I also get the strange look when I mention Iowa State University as if its equivalent is DMACC.

Marquette will be great only if Dazy Head Mazy has a show every third week.

Jackson said...

"So every body . . . push away from the mainland."