Friday, September 22, 2006

On Romance Languages and the Romantic Idiot

Today I experienced my first official "moment of crisis" in the PhD program. Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of moments filled with self doubt and self loathing, not to mention a number of cold sweats - not to be confused with cold sweets, which for my money does not get any better than Hostess - but today is the first time I experienced, as it were, the teeth of the PhD program, what I'm up against, the proverbial wall. Check that, I realized today I might not know enough to even hit the wall. I'm somewhere outside the city with a piecer car, the wrong map, and a broken compass. Or if you like sports metaphors: I'm in the Hell Bunker at St. Andrew's and all I have is a putter. Or entertainment: I got nothing.

In my Eastern Fathers class, I was assigned to introduce and lead discussion on the figure Jacob of Serug. This assignment involves providing a lengthy abstract of the figure's biography, theology, other works, and recent scholarship concerning him. I actually had a choice between he and two other figures and I picked the former simply because he had an English sounding name (as opposed to Severus and Philoxenus). Oh the bitter irony for as I began my research, I quickly realized that there was nothing English about Jacob of Serug or the scholarship surrounding him.

The first book I located was written in some sort of obscure Syriac. I believe it was a work by Jacob himself, but truth be told I didn't know enough to tell. The footnotes appeared to be french, but I am basing that feeble assumption on what I thought looked like a "we." The second book I located looked a little more familiar. At least, with all the hichs and sclichts, I was able to identify it as German, not that that did much for me. I did manage to find an English book, but of course it is checked out until December. Because apparently Jacob of Serug is slotted for Oprah's bookclub later this month. (Word on the street, however, is that he fabricated parts of his memoir. He didn't really fall off that camel.)

So unless there is a book on Jacob written in Iowan via Kentuckian via Wisconsian English or Koine Greek on the level of 1 John or Latin in the present tense only (minus the genetive case), I'm pretty much sunk. I did, however, manage to find quite a bit of helpful material on both Severus and Philoxenus.

That Oprah sure knows how to pick um . . .

7 comments:

Matt Purmort said...

Hey Jackson,

There is an Anglo-Catholic Seminary 30 miles west of Wisconsin Called Nashotah House. They love Patristic Christianity about as much as our former Sem. loves Wesley. I checked there web site and there Library is open to the public. If that's close to you it might not hurt to call.

Matt

Jackson said...

Matt-

This is excellent! Thanks for the tip and I will definitely follow up on it. I already ordered four books from innerlibrary loan, but who knows when they will show up?

Are you still pursuing pastoral ministry?

Theophany@Church Street said...

Though I've never heard of this guy, for some strange reason I had the obscure thought, 'I wonder how Jacob of Serug would have fit in with the cast of The Real World--Seattle.' With his proficiency in languages, he sounds eclectic enough to live in such a diverse city as Seattle. But then I think about him working either in the fish market or at a local radio station set up by MTV and the picture just doesn't seem to fit. All the same, those hippies probably would have loved his burlap-themed wardrobe. For whatever else people in Seattle might say about Jacob of Serug, at least they could say, 'he keeps it real, dude.'

As usual, I have nothing to say but a load of rubbish. Guess it's like the days at Asbury---sometimes a little ridiculous speak can keep it all in perspective. Or not.

Jack

P.S. I honestly am going to write something meaningful here in a few days. Couldn't resist today.

Jackson said...

I don't know man. I think Jacob would have gotten real tired of Irene moaning about her Lyme Disease. Who knows, he might have slapped her and taken some of the heat off Steven. I picture him more in San Francisco mixing it up with Puck and the boys. You know the ascetics - they shower less than Puck.

I keep waiting for this phantom "serious post." But quite honestly, your two insights thus far have been beautiful.

Jackson said...

Is this Jackie Stevens or some other Jackie I don't know about?

If it is, have you read "Captivating" yet? Figured that would be at the top of your list.

Jackson said...

Ha! Sorry Dad. Didn't think you would call yourself Jackie.

Are you watching/following the ISU game? 10:00 minutes left in the FIRST QUARTER and we are down 16-0.

Come on McCarney!

Matt Purmort said...

He Jackson,

Yes I am still pursuing pastoral ministry. This study I am doing with Pasquerello is part of the process. It looks as though I could be ordained a deacon in the spring and then a presbyter (priest) in later on. There is a church in Virginia that does a leadership program for newly ordained that I might go to starting next summer, if this is all God's best. Keep Blogging...

Matt